Chinese New Year (CNY) is a fun time for kids as they dress up in new clothes, feast on goodies, receive Ang Pows and visit friends and relatives. What about using this time to “Huat” their 8 Multiple Intelligences too?
Here are 8 ways to take advantage of the festivities to do some intelligence building to add to the celebrations and fun.
- Challenge the kids to do mental sums of the total amount of Ang Pow money they have collected. This could be done on a household visit or if they are older, get them to do a running total as they go from place to place.
- Find out who can remember who gave how much money! Memory game improves their mental management.
- Ask the family to analyse what makes a song or music a CNY song/music. What are the key ingredients?
- Analyse a piece of CNY music and guess what instruments are involved.
- Tasting game – pick a food item, eg. pineapple tart, and ask the kids to evaluate whose tart is the tastiest. Ask them to give reasons for their rating.
- Ask them to predict the weather. At the end of the day, give a prize.
- Draw a family tree.
- Play an observation game – “Who is the happiest of them all”. Before going to a house, challenge the kids to the game of observing who is the happiest person in the house. After leaving the house, ask them who their think is the happiest and why.
- Ask the kids to tell you what the like most about CNY and why.
- Ask the kids to tell you who their favourite relative is and why.
- As an extension of the Music Smart game, ask the family what makes a piece of decoration a CNY decoration? What are the key factors?
- Get the family to vote on which house has the most CNY feel to it. Why?
- Make CNY craft items
- Ask them to create hand signs/actions to represent the different types of greetings.
This article was contributed by Dr Henry Toi from Nurture Craft. You can find their classes and magazines here.